Awkward to Awesome’s 2013
Last year was, er, interesting for me, to say the least. It was, I believe, the first time in my life that school, work, sports, and my personal life intersected in a way that ended up being more than I could handle at times. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m used to juggling a lot of things at a time (high school alone with AP classes + work + 20+ hours a week of sports taught me that) but this was the first time I felt like all of those things combined was overwhelming to me. (The extra bombardment of personal/family stuff throughout the year definitely helped out with that as well).
It’s no surprise then that 2013 on Awkward to Awesome reflected that turmoil. Updates were slow and irregular (if they happened at all) and way fewer posts were published compared to 2012. When times got tough, blog posts were usually one of the first things to get cut, which I apologize for. And while I did attempt to at least give y’all a warning before long periods of silence ensued, as you probably know that didn’t always happen. Apologies again, and that’s certainly something I’m going to work on for this year.
Despite the lower amounts of post-ness, quite a few awesome things happened last year and here to sum them all up is:
I. Colina’s Better Late Than Never 2013 Wrap Up
• Followers – Less posts = more followers? Not quite sure how that works but we’re almost at sixty which, for a second year blog that does virtually no advertising/social media, I think is pretty good.
• Mary Sues – I started a mini-story collection (series? serial?) last year that follows special snowflake protagonist Coralynnne “Corrie” Esperosa Diagon Marchess of Hundor, princess of those who refer to her as princess and ruler of the seven sanctums of Telnotsho, (she’s a Mary Sue, if you hadn’t guessed) on her adventures in a Hunger Games-style contest that seeks to find the one true Sue. The first post in that collection, Battle of the Snowflakes: Part One, was also the most popular post of the year thanks to the excellent Mary Sue Problems blog (which inspired the short story) sending a ton of Tumblrians over to check it out. Interestingly enough, with the exception of Battle of the Snowflakes, all of the top five most viewed posts were from 2012.
• Google hits – The most common terms people searched that led to this blog were “nazgul,” “neck beard,” “Lord of the Rings,” and “Beard.” Okay, point taken. Prepare yourself for more LOTR/Hobbit/beard posts this year. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.
• Social media – Most of the traffic was referred from either tumblr or facebook. No surprise there.
• Around the world – It never ceases to amaze me how many people from around the world stop by to read this silly blog. The idea that I could write a piece that would appeal to someone in Brazil or Russia or Turkey is incredible to me. The majority of visitors were from the United States (naturally) but views from Germany, France, and Canada weren’t far behind. In total, 68 different countries stopped by, which I find ridiculously amazing.
So thanks for hanging around for another year with Awkward to Awesome. May this one be even better than the last!